The rice crispy treat is a staple dessert item, perfect to feed your inner child with its sinfully sweet flavor and delightfully chewy texture. How can it get any better than that?
Add in some
Dispensaries far and wide have already embraced the iconic treat as an infused option for cannabis consumers with a hankering for sweets, though these offerings are often high in THC and no good for folks looking for the non-psychoactive
Fortunately, regardless of your experience and skill level in DIY edibles, this is a simple and quick recipe that will have you chowing down on this CBD-infused treat in no time.
If you’re ready to take the plunge, keep reading!
How do I add the CBD?
Before we go too far, it’s important to ensure you have a CBD product ready to go for this infused rice crispy recipe. We recommend a CBD-infused cannabutter or coconut oil, which is also dairy free.
You can generally purchase either option online or at select cannabis dispensaries — just ensure they are high in CBD and have low-to-no THC, unless you are looking for a psychoactive high. For THC lovers looking for a stoney edible high, this recipe can also be used with THC-infused cannabutter and coconut oil instead of CBD.
If you want to go all out, it’s also easy to make your own CBD
Whatever option you choose, make sure you have one of these products ready to go, at least six tablespoons, before you continue.
CBD Rice Crispy Treat Ingredients and Supplies
So, you’ve got your CBD infusion, but what else do you need? Not too much! This simple recipe is no-bake and doesn’t require many ingredients:
Marshmallows — mini or large marshmallows are great, and vegan marshmallows also work. Feel free to experiment with flavors, just make sure they are fresh!
Rice Krispies Cereal — note that you’re welcome to use any cereal if you want to get creative, but if you prefer to stick to the original dessert, the name says it all. Other popular cereals to consider include Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Trix, Frosted Flakes Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, Lucky Charms, Reese’s Puffs…
See below for the full list of ingredients and specific measurements required. The recipe can easily be doubled, tripled or more, just ensure you have multiple pans ready to go or be ready for some in-between cleaning.
CBD Rice Crispy Treat Ingredients
- 6 tablespoons of cannabutter or infused coconut oil
- 10 ounces, or about 5 cups, of marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 6 cups of cereal of choice
We also invite you to get innovative and customize this recipe in whatever way you see fit. This might mean adding in additional candies, like M&Ms, chocolate chips, Reeses Pieces—The options are limitless. Have fun with it!
CBD Rice Crispy Treat Supplies
No need for any special supplies, either. Most kitchens should be equipped with the essentials for this recipe.
- Large pot or saucepan
- Wooden spoon, silicone spatula or other large stirring instrument
- Baking pan (a square, 8×8” or 9×9” pan is ideal, though you can make it work with other sizes, too, it may just alter the depth and overall size of each treat)
- Large, sharp knife
- Air-tight storage container, plastic wrap or freezer-safe bags (for storage of six weeks or more)
Once you have all of your ingredients and supplies, it’s time to get cooking!
Making CBD Rice Crispy Treats: Step-by-Step
1. Add your cannabis infusion to the saucepan or pot, keeping it at medium-low heat for two to three minutes, or until the cannabutter or coconut oil is fully melted.
2. Add in the marshmallows and stir consistently until they completely melt.
3. Turn off heat, and add vanilla extract and salt to the mixture. Make sure to mix thoroughly at this stage so each rice crispy treat has an even dosage of CBD.
4. Add and stir in cereal. Continue stirring until all cereal is coated with your CBD-marshmallow blend.
5. If you have any extra additions that you’d like to include inside the treats, go ahead and add them now, ensuring to give another good mix to ensure it mixes in evenly.
6. If you have a regular baking pan, be sure to add a fitted piece of parchment paper to the bottom. If you have a silicone baking pan, feel free to skip this step.
7. Pour your mixture into the pan, and use your spoon or spatula to ensure the mixture is sitting evenly inside of the pan.
8. If you want to top your CBD rice crispy treats with any final touches, do so now.
9. Let the mixture sit for at least an hour before cutting. Once they’re ready, cut into nine pieces, or into whatever size works best for you. Keep in mind that the amount of pieces will also allow you to further control the dose if needed. (More on that below.)
10. Remove the treats from the baking pan, and they’re ready to go! Feel free to start munching immediately. If you plan to save some for later, use plastic wrap to preserve the remaining treats or use an air-tight container for storage.
A Few Loose Ends
Note that, like many tasty concoctions, these are best enjoyed the day they’re made. If you plan to save any treats for another time, proper storage is essential! Your CBD rice crispy treats should be good to go for about a week at room temperature storage, though you can also pop these babies into the fridge to double their shelf life. (Safely, they should still be good for about two weeks). To keep your CBD treats fresh even longer, store them in a freezer-safe bag for six to eight weeks in the freezer.
If you’re looking for the quickest and easiest cleanup, we recommend sticking to silicone supplies. This recipe is totally attainable with traditional kitchen supplies, just get ready for a lot of stick!
How do I calculate my CBD dosage?
We recommend calculating your dosage prior to making the recipe.
The typical, California state-recommended single dose for edibles is 10mg of THC, and some consumers, especially those new to cannabis, consume less to start. However, CBD is
This recipe calls for six tablespoons of infused butter or coconut oil. If you’ve sourced your CBD-infused product from a store, it’s best to check the label to see how many milligrams of CBD is in a serving and convert the volume of the serving to tablespoons, if it isn’t already measured this way.
Say, for example, the label notes that 20mg of CBD is in one-third (0.33) tablespoon of oil or butter. Divide this number by the six total tablespoons, 6 / 0.33, and use the resulting number, in this case 18.18, to figure out your total milligrams in the entire rice crispy recipe. For this example, 18.18 x 20 = 363.6mg total. Divide by nine total pieces, and we know that each treat will contain roughly 40mg of CBD.
Of course, you can always use this information to make your pieces bigger or smaller and, in turn, modify the dose. If you find that the total CBD in six cups is simply too much, you can always make up the difference in the recipe with non-infused butter or oil.
If you are making your own cannabutter or coconut oil from CBD flower, you can use similar tricks to figure out how much CBD your treats will contain. You will simply need to figure out the total amount of CBD in your entire cannabutter or oil recipe (find instructions for calculating a CBD infusion made from flower
Even with all this math, it can still be a challenge to pinpoint a precise CBD dosage with at-home edibles. As always, it’s best to start at a lower dose and work your way up if you aren’t sure what is best for you and your body to avoid any
Enjoy your sweet treats!
Creating your own CBD- and THC-infused edibles is far easier than most may think. It’s all about taking the leap. And what better way to embrace nostalgia while living in the present and enjoying all that one of our favorite cannabinoids has to offer?
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out some of our other favorites: